Tuesday, May 13, 2008

American Craft Beer Week Day Two: Jail Bait

Day two of American Craft Beer Week and I’ve selected a nifty little porter out of Santa Fe, New Mexico as the subject of today’s review. I won’t lie and say I picked this one because I’m a huge fan of porters – there’s still too much of the old binge drinker in me to really get excited about the porters since they are far too heavy for the guzzlin’, but as I get older and hopefully a bit smarter, I’ve begun to warm to the porters. No, I picked this one solely because the name is really, really cool. (Yeah, I’m a sucker for a slick name and usually it bites me in the arse, but not this time.) I give you State Pen Porter.

I’ve not spent a single day in jail, though there have been times in my life when I looked like I’d stepped out of a mugshot. However, if they served this in the New Mexico State lock-up, I might be enticed to serve a stint.

This gangster of a beer smells of malt or bread in the bottle and has a fruity malt smell in the glass. Very dark, coffee colored with a medium head that’s cocoa colored and appealing to the eye.

Tastes of wine or liquor with a dry finish. This is a good beer, but understandably heavy since it is a porter. This beer isn’t one to be trifled with. It’s not a so-called session beer at 6.4% abv. If I can find this one again, I’ll buy it. If I have to break into the big house to liberate another bottle or two, then so be it.

Don’t take my word for it.

Beer Advocate has 21 reviews here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1683/36341

The Santa Fe Brewing website is here:
http://www.santafebrewing.com/


That's it for today. If I make bail, I'll pop the top off another craft beer tomorrow!

No comments:

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts