Friday, February 12, 2010

Fun (and beer) At Old World Brewery

Dropped by Old World Brewery after work yesterday and managed to keep to my one beer promise and get back to Beer Rant HQ before sundown, which is nice. I didn’t try the anniversary ale, though I’d planned to originally, I just can’t keep away from that Dark Knight Porter of theirs and dang if I ain’t glad I did this time.

The current batch of porter is evidently the one they intend to submit for a major competition and I believe it’s one of the better Dark Knight Porter’s I’ve sampled there, but that’s just the tip of the tap room iceberg really.

After every visit to Old World I scratch my head and marvel at my good fortune for having a micro/craft brewery so close to the homestead. In the short hour I was there I was able to chat in the back brewing area with one of the owners about beer and bands, knock back a pleasant pint of porter chatting with the brewer and a buddy from work, peruse a recent issue of Beer Advocate magazine that I pulled from a stack of brewing related publications on the bar, sample the latest tapping of the Old World Wit (It was great but I got the stink eye from Matt when I called it an upscale Blue Moon) and share in the sampling from a bomber of Dark Knight Porter that had spent the previous week or so rolling around in the bed of the owner’s truck. To finish, I bought a bomber of Porter for myself (presumably not one that was a truck bed experiment) and a special First Anniversary Edition pint glass.

Now where the hell can you get that sort of fun along with a pint of beer, anywhere?

The Old World crew are off to the Arizona Strong Ale Festival tomorrow and I wish them all the very best. Me, I’ll be sofa shopping with Mrs. Beer Rant. Evidently, the couch we got as a wedding gift oh these many years ago is no longer up to speed. On the bright side, we’ll be in close proximity to Total Wine and Gordon Biersch...and the grandkids!

Incidentally, the issue of Beer Advocate that I was scanning had a page devoted to the top misunderstood beers or some such and you know they actually included an entry for that vile, nasty Chili Beer from Arizona (I think it's brewed in Mexico, but labeled as an Arizona beer to give me one more thing to be proud of, I guess.) If you doubt for one second that I abhor and detest this vile travesty of a beer, see my POST from May of 2008.

In the Tank: Kona Pipeline Porter (Probably the last one this year, folks.)
On the Desk: Boulder Brewing Sundance Amber Ale (eh, it's okay.)

No comments:

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts