Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday Old World Brewery!

I’m going to toss this out there, even though I’m not even sure this beer is still available. (Last week [or so] I dropped Matt an email and he said they still had some left, so….)

I guess I average about two visits a month to Old World Brewery, just up the road from Beer Rant HQ and that’s paltry little and a pathetically poor performance given that I could damned near walk to the place for crap’s sake!

Scotland, The Brave
In any event, the most recent offering from the crew at Old World is a delightful anniversary ale called Highlander Scotch Ale. Weighing in at an inspired 8% abv, this highlander may not arrive with half its face painted blue, but after knocking back a couple, you may find yourself waking up with bruises and face paint.

Here are my notes from the first sampling back on January 13th:
There is no alcohol bite up front. Smells like a bit like porter. Smooth taste with a definite warming effect. Definitely roasted in the taste and malty dark. Slightly amber, not opaque. Robust head when agitated with medium to light lacing.

The literature says it’s “complex” but it seems straightforward to me. There’s a definite buzz to this right off the bat. Served in a 10-ounce snifter for $5 with growler’s going for $17 and growler refills for $10.

Ten ounces may seem like a short snort, but be patient and work your way slowly to the bottom of the snifter and you’ll be rewarded.

My beer notebook shows that three days after this initial sampling, I was back to have a growler filled. What better endorsement can there be than a repeat purchase?

Postscript:
I’d imagine the Highlander Scotch Ale is just about gone and I’m not saying that to incite rancor among the beer folk – it’s just a statement of fact. In the interest of full, detailed and honest research, I’ll endeavor to make a stop at Old World later this week to see what’s flowing from the taps. Geez, the lengths to which I’ll go to fill this space with beer drivel.

Coming Up:

“The Super Bowl’s over, think I’ll shoot myself.” Or “Something on Hunter S. Thompson…. I just don’t know what.”

No comments:

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts