Sunday, January 18, 2009

Beer Moment: Barrett-Jackson and Beer

I attended the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction in Scottsdale this past Friday. My oldest brother comes in from out of state every year with some buddies and he’s always let me in on the fun while they are in town and it’s never a disappointment. Here’s a shot of some of the guys discussing the finer points of a particular Ford Mustang as it waits in line to go on the block.

Their credentials allow them access to the bidder’s bar and we all make liberal use of the products dispensed therein. Here’s a shot of the bidders bar – they offer the usual fare in addition to Stella-Artois and Bass Ale.


Initially I opted for a simple Bud Light and here’s a look at what happens when you stand too close to the Ford Drifting exhibition with an open cup of beer. Look closely and you’ll see tiny bits of rubber floating in the top! Nothing like a bit of fiber with your beer, right?



Only later did I discover that Bass Ale was available and I switched to that. Here’s a shot of my beer cup, sitting quietly on the auction floor as I watch cars roll across the block.





A 1950’s era military jeep (restored) went for about $100,000 this year, which I thought was pretty cool and not too much below the selling price for a racecar driven by Dale Earnhardt when he was still alive and racing.The fun of this for me is not simply the beer (which is a plus anywhere I go) but the experience of getting to see my older brother admire and enjoy all these cars; he and his buddies are experts in all the finer points of classic car restoration and to walk around with them is like having your very own personal museum guide in what must be one of the largest displays of rare and unusual automobiles anywhere. Yeah, the beer was okay but the company is what can’t be beat.

No comments:

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts