Sunday, July 20, 2008

Red Stripe...Hooray!

A Decent Daily Drinker

Gosh. It would be easy to rip into this beer, but I’m finding that’s not really possible, since it isn’t all that bad for an over the counter session beer. Sure, their commercials are vaguely racist and I’ve often thought that the only reason for this beer’s existence is to supply single bottles for those multi-pack “beers of the universe” boxes, but what the heck.

I’ve had Red Stripe before but sat down to contemplate the single from a multi-pack of 10 international beers. Another blogger compares Red Stripe to Pabst Blue Ribbon or Miller High Life (I refer to it as High Life by Miller…I’m old school that way.) and I think I agree with that appraisal. Beyond that, not much else to say. Good beer for a hot day. You can pound a bunch of them under the shade of a friendly tree, pull your Rastafarian beanie down tight and get your nasty groove on (I guess. That’s what the younger folks tell me.).
Smells of cereal with a weak head and medium beading in the glass and little or no lacing with this one. I suspect, as with all beers, this one tastes better when you’re closer to the source, but until such time as I wake up and find myself in Kingston Town, I might grab a six pack of this now and then just for fun!


By the by...Happy Birthday Dane!

2 comments:

Bryon said...

I took a little trip to St Croix for training a couple of years ago...

It's a long story, but lets just say it made up for all those trips to the middle east...

That being said, Red Stripe was available in abundance and it was always ice cold and cheap. It's not a great beer, but it's a fun beer and perfect to cool down with on a hot sun filled Caribbean day.

Virgil G said...

I'm not a red stripe fan. I think the last time I drank one was on a dare. There are other "crappy" beers that I like better. My crappy beer of choice is Stroh's.

A buddy of mine sent me a picture of him drinking a Hamms last night. He said he paid a buck, and he wanted some change back.

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts