Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Beer Mapping: You Can Get There From Here

In my work as a low-level government functionary, I have occasion to work with maps and plans, aerial photos and a little bit of GIS stuff. I’ve always thought those things are cool. I can read and write a legal description and scale things on a map or a set of plans. It’s kind of cool to get paid for that, I suppose, but it is work after all.

Imagine having the job of mapping beer related stuff. Wow! Now that would be cool. Someone, somewhere, has begun such a project and they've mapped the locations of brewpubs and breweries scattered throughout the Rocky Mountain West. It’s really neat, but browsing through it only serves to remind me that I need to get out more, which reminds me that gas is more than four bucks a gallon!

Well, beer’s cheaper. I’m staying home.


For you beer/map geeks who want more, here’s a map of the US indicating the excise tax for beer in each state. Ooooooh, riveting!




My thanks and kudos to Chipper Dave for hosting a link to the beer mapping project on his blog Fermentedly Challenged.



2 comments:

Dave said...

Love that beer mapping site. It's so handy to spot where the beer spots are at a glance.

Matt said...

Just a random little bit of input about an older post.

A friend of mine works at Trader Joe's and gave me the low down on their ghost brews- they are labeled at breweries especially for TJ's but are ALL unoriginal beers that are in production as other names. Goose Island even does this, I think they are Black Toad and Fat Weasel.

Insanity.

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts