Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Two From The Rockies

I grew up not too far from the town of Breckenridge and while this beer isn’t brewed in the town, I still feel a bit of a connection to the territory. Summer time is the best time in the Rockies; the canyons and valleys are so narrow in some areas that in the winter, the sun barely casts its light on the valley floor before it sets. That makes for a long, brutal winter some years. But in the summer, the temperature hovers in the 70s maybe the 80s and during certain parts of the season, it always clouds up in the afternoon and often as not, it rains. But I digress.

Here’s the dope on Avalanche Amber:

Pours a truly amber color with a thin head and minor beading that’s gone after a few minutes. Smell runs citrus to caramel and the taste is a little bitter. Finishes with hints of coffee then it’s gone. This one didn’t knock my socks off frankly, but I won’t shun it at parties like last weeks prom date. (Where the heck did that come from?)

Here’s the skinny on Avalanche Vanilla Porter:

Pours dark coffee color with a weak head and no lacing of note. Smells vaguely of a vanilla milkshake and tastes of caramel building to a pleasant but vague vanilla finish that’s dry like a wine at the end. Not as delectably delicious as I’d hoped but not a complete letdown and just a cut above the Avalanche Amber.

I enjoyed these beers enough that I’ll seek out other Breckenridge products – and have – in the future. Perhaps if I ever get back to Colorado, I’ll try their product where it’s bound to be even fresher, having traveled a shorter distance. (For a review of their Oatmeal Stout, see the post from May 28, 2008.)

No links today. Do your own darned research!

2 comments:

Dave said...

The Breckenridge Vanilla Porter is one of my favorite wintertime brews. Just a hint of vanilla but mighty tasty. The Avalanche Amber is a decent offering but compared to bigger full flavored and hopped beers, this one was just slightly above average for me.

Michael said...

Hi Chipper Dave - sorry for the slow reply. Yes, I'll get the Vanilla Porter again I think and hopefully I can sample some closer to the source later this year - I've a neice getting married in Denver in a couple months!

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts