Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Boulder Brewing: Hazed and Infused

One from the slush pile...

The offerings from this brewer tread the “hippie” side of the fence – not an era that I’m especially enamored of, but hey, it’s beer so I’ll try it.

Smells sour, bitter and acidic. Like a burned out hippie who's just waiting to die or for his 401(k) to finally pay off big.
Poured with a thin head, medium lacing
Oaky taste. Dry, quick finish.

Not great. I’m learning that the overly hoppy beers are not my thing…of course, the 60s aren’t my thing either, that’s when this country forgot how to work and how to fight. Now we watch reality shows about men who work (fishermen, lumberjacks and oilfield workers) and….oh, never mind. (Stick to the beer, stupid.)

Here’s the link to the Boulder Beer Company website. (“Colorado’s first microbrewery” I guess so. Who am I to argue, but hey, didn’t Coors start out as a “microbrewery” at some point?)
http://www.boulderbeer.com/

Here’s what the “free love” crowd at Beer Advocate had to say about Hazed:
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/6590/
I suspect that if I find my way up to Boulder some day, I’ll try to make time to visit Boulder Brewing’s headquarters. In the meantime, I’ll keep an open mind about their other hippie-oriented beers and try them down the line. However, I probably won’t bother with Hazed and Infused again.

2 comments:

Dave said...

I took the opportunity to try this beer at the Rocky Mountain Beer Fest in Estes Park over the weekend. While it was a decent beer, it seemed a bit too over the top and wouldn't make a good session beer. It gave me a dry mouth after I finished it. Good, but in small quantities I think.

Michael said...

Yes. I don't go in for the intentionally hoppy stuff - you know the beers that come out like they've got something to prove. You don't have to knock me out to bowl me over.

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts