Thursday, June 19, 2008

Small Batch. Big Taste.

Okay. How about a Breckenridge Brewery triple play? Yesterday it was their Avalanche Ale and the Vanilla Porter. I sampled those two beers awhile back and today, I broke into a long-stored bottle of their Small Batch 471 Double Hopped India Pale Ale. (Whew, that’s a mouthful and so’s this beer, man!)

To begin, it’s known that I originally hail from a small mountain county in Colorado, but I want it known that I’m not turning into a shill for a Colorado craft brewer. Honest. (Here is where I confess that I’ve got a Coors Brewing Company sticker on the back of my truck.) As proof, I’ll point to the lukewarm review I gave other Breckenridge products I’ve tried recently. They’re okay, but they just don’t knock my socks off.

Now, for this here “small batch” stuff. Small Batch 471 is something akin to an inside joke, I think. It’s a special recipe, I guess, that the factory hacks allowed the working grunts to run with and if that’s the case, I’m glad they did. I’ve proclaimed my disdain for overly hopped beers in the past – most recently the weird and quirky “Hazed and Infused” from Boulder Brewing (a Colorado brewer…hmmm.), but this Small Batch is a horse of a different color. For starters, it’s an ass-kicker at 9.2% abv. Secondly, it’s a wallet-buster, given that I paid $2.69 for a single at my local cigar and booze emporium. Oh well, I’m a sucker for a painted label bottle and a clever name. I bought it. I own it. I tried it.

The Tasting
Breckenridge Brewing’s Small Batch 471 Double Hopped IPA gives off a fruity, hoppy aroma in the bottle and pours a dark orange that is not the least bit clear. A head of about one finger is produced with a moderately aggressive pour. The initial taste is very hoppy with an alcohol bite and a finish than hints strongly of spiced orange. This stuff is really good but really strong. I believe it might be a nice beer to drink on a dark December evening while one waits for Santa to drop a Beer of the Month certificate in your stocking. I’m going to go out and buy another bottle just for that occasion! Hey, Santa, I’ve been good!

Here’s the link to Breckenridge Brewing’s web page for Small Batch 471. It’s good to know they make it year ‘round. http://www.breckbrew.com/beer/smallbatch.html

Here’s what the RateBeer crowd has to say about 471:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/breckenridge-471-small-batch-ipa/34157/954/

Here’s the Beer Advocate page for Small Batch 471. I especially like the comment made by one boozer, wherein he/she opined, “Would be a great session beer except for the 9.2.” I love it! (Pot would be great in cigarettes, except for the law.)
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/759/22527

Here’s a nice post at Hops and Barley Blog:
http://www.hopsandbarleyblog.com/2008/02/breckenridge-brewery-small-batch-471.html

5 comments:

Matt said...

I am also a total sucker for painted labels. Ithink thats what made me initially partial to Rogue products.

Michael said...

I've taken to "collecting" the painted label bottles. I rinse them out, let them dry. put them in a zip lock bag and store them in a box in the garage. One more thing to drive the missus nuts. I was surprised to recall that Red Stripe comes in a painted bottle...hmmm. And of course Rolling Rock, too.

Dave said...

The only sad thing about painted bottles is that I'm less inclined to use them for bottling homebrew. Painted bottles are nice and I also keep a few laying around (like Stone Brewing beers).

GalacticCannibal said...

Hey dude,

I spent 3 months in Austin this year . And i bought Small batch 471 from The Central Market there .

This ale was recommended by the postman who delivers mail to my daughters home.

This 471 stuff is the best ale i ever drank. Basically i spent most of my visit in a near to total fog

Couldn't see straight and felt no pain.

Best ale ever.
Great value for the price. U get what U paid for.

GC

Michael said...

Welcome Galactic Cannibal!
You're right on the money about getting what you pay for. I'd add to that, "stick with the one's you like, no matter the price."

Hmmm. The local postman as a "beer shaman." Who would have thought? Thanks a ton for dropping by, hope you come back often!

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts