Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The garage is my fridge!

In praise of….

Cooler weather! We’re a day or two into winter 2009 and I’m already reminded of something I really like about having cooler weather; I can store beer in the garage without benefit of a real refrigerator! Hey, I’m not complicated or picky. So long as the ambient temperature out there hovers between 40 and 55 degrees, I’m okay with that.

Mind you, we don’t entertain Old Man Winter here the same way they do back east, or in the high Rockies – they’re really throwing a party for that frozen bastard on the east coast! Here, it’s finally just cool enough to be pleasant, but no snow and no frostbitten fingers! And beer that's always just on the verge of being ready to decant. (Is that a beer douche word? Probably.) Nice.

I’d hoped to post something meaningful before Christmas Eve arrived, but seeing as I’m working right through tomorrow evening after which I’ll be out at the kid’s house, it just doesn’t seem likely now.


I’m not tearing through the Christmas/Holiday beers the way I did last year. I’ve settled on a couple standards and I’m still planning to pick up some favorites from last year. Perhaps I’ll try to capture the newly sampled holiday beers after the holiday blows through. In the meantime, here's a picture or two of recent holiday conquests, including Anchor's 2009 Merry Christmas and Sam Adams Winter Lager.
I have a bottle of some nice Norwegian beer that I think I'll take to the kids house for Christmas Eve. There's also some New Belgium 2 Below, some Dundee's Festive Ale and the remainder of a six-pack of Anchor 2009 Merry Christmas - all out in the garage of course.
On the wish list: More Shiner Holiday Cheer, More Gordon Biersch Winter Bock and some Deschutes Obsidian Stout, for which I've had a strange craving lately, though it isn't a holiday or winter seasonal beer! Here's hoping you find what's on your wish list too.

As it’s likely that I won’t be back on here until after Christmas Day, my very warmest Christmas wishes to you and yours.

In the tank:
Nothing. Some of us still have to get up at 3:30 tomorrow morning to go to work!
On the desk:
Nothing. Some of us still have to get up...oh, I already said that.

Be sure to vote in the “gimmick poll.”

2 comments:

Dave said...

I also store beer in my garage during the colder months. However, it can get a bit too cold at times if the mercury dips below zero outside. I keep things in an insulated cooler to ward off the extreme cold. Never had a problem with my beer this way.

Michael said...

'Chipper'! Seems funny to think that you'd actually have to use a cooler to insulate beer to protect it from the COLD! But it's a sound idea. We hit the freezing mark here at Beer Rant HQ the last couple nights - don't know what the beer did out there but I doubt it actually got that cold in the garage. I love winter, though.

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts