Sunday, December 20, 2009

"Douche" is such a harsh word...

When you mock the macrobrews and those who drink them, remember that there once was a time when we had no choice!

First, thank you so much to the bloggers who dropped by to comment about the last post. My sentiments come from the heart, truly. Please feel like you can put your feet on the coffee table here, anytime!

Now to today’s point: Since my last post about Beer Rant's 20 followers, I’ve had a new joiner who runs the blog LOST in the beer aisle. (Great title, by the way.)

A recent post there seeks to know the traits that make a “beer douche” and I made a point of adding my comment, which I’ll try to replicate here with some detail.

I consider anyone who flatly refuses to drink a macrobrew a “beer douche.” Now, before you tune me out or try to send a pipe bomb to Beer Rant HQ, let me explain.

"Back, when I was a young trooper coming up through the ranks..."
Some of you younger folk, the sort who have had craft beers and micro brews available to you all through your drinking years, don’t know what it was like to spend your early beer drinking days drinking the likes of Miller, Coors, Budweiser, A1 and Milwaukee’s Best. I do. Simply put: macrobrews don’t have the same foul, onerous baggage for those of us who were given no other option back in the day.

I drank stolen A1 beer before I was of legal drinking age. I cut my teeth on Miller High Life. I packed my belongings in empty Ranier beer 12-pack boxes when I last moved from Colorado to Arizona in 1988 (about the time the craft beer renaissance was getting off the ground, I might add). Fact is, there wasn’t anything else to drink back then and, to coin an old phrase from the poor side of the tracks: “Oatmeal is better than no meal.”

There used to be a saying to define loyalty that went something like, “you dance with the one who brought you.” Well, for better or worse, Coors and Miller (and some brewers who no longer exist) got me where I am today. I’m more than happy to toss a few bucks their way now and then and I definitely won’t turn up my nose at them if I show up at someone else’s picnic to find them in the ice chest.

One new feature going forward:
I’m going to try to let readers know what I’m drinking or have been drinking when I post. (Not that it matters, perhaps, but maybe I can clue you in on beers I’ve tried, even if I don’t get around to actually doing a post about them.) “In the tank” means I’ve sampled that particular beer that day. “In the glass” means it’s on the desk in front of me as I write.

What I’m drinking today:
In the tank: Pickled Santa
In the Glass: Dundee’s Festive Ale

4 comments:

Woo Pig Brewey! said...

Ha ha beer douche. I like it and I agree. Tastes are subjective. At this moment I'm drinking a Left Hand Fade To Black and my girlfriend is drinking a Bud Light Lime. Whatever flips your lid.

Lost said...

I was excited to see someone else was talking about my "beer-douche" post. Excellent commentary here. I'll definitely be referencing this in my summary post (coming soon).

Cracker hit it right on the head too. "Whatever flips your lid".

-Lost

scottb211 said...

It never ceases to amaze me the propensity for snobbery to sneak in at every opportunity. You like a robust stout? Good for you. You think people who buy Bud Lime (or something equally macro) are mindless lemmings? Go take your ego somewhere quiet and stroke it. Argh.

Speaking of the old-school (crappy) beers we drank as kids, here's a few from a PA native: Stroh's, Genessee, Old Milwaukee, and Schlitz. All of them cheap, none of them very good... in my snobbish opinion ;)

Michael said...

Cracker, Lost and Scottb211, good points all. Basically all beer is really about is "flippin' your lid" anyway! Right?

And, I'd forgotten Stroh's, Old Mil. and Schlitz (never had Genessee here, except for their Creme Ale). They're all great working man beers that our dad's and granddads probably drank - why should we think we're too good to drink the same now and then, huh?

You guys rock - thanks for dropping in!

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts