Thursday, August 14, 2008

Where Else But America: The Beer Float

In case you needed proof that we’ve got it easy in this country, I give you the Beer Float.

John Steinbeck wrote about a “beer milkshake” in Cannery Row and that’s the first place I recall ever even seeing mention of this beverage anomaly. Doc, the protagonist in the book, thinks about what it must be like to order a beer milkshake. He decides it best to order such a thing in a town where he isn’t known, and eventually when he does, he tells the waitress he has “bipalychaetersonectomy” and the beer milkshakes are on doctor’s orders. I don’t know what bipalychaetersonectomy is and a search of the web turns up nothing but a couple references to Steinbeck and his beer milkshake. (By the way, John looked like the sort of fellow who'd enjoy a good beer milkshake.)

From a literary standpoint, I suppose the beer milkshake episode from Cannery Row is something of a lesson in how we must behave one way among those we know versus how we feel we can behave when we are with strangers, or people we aren’t likely to ever see again. (Kind of like the way we act in heavy traffic on the freeway, I guess.)

Today there are no such strictures placed upon people – nobody “dresses up” to travel by airplane, tank tops and flip flops are acceptable attire in church and what you drink or eat in public is your business. If this isn’t the case, why are places like Yardhouse serving beer floats and milkshakes? Out in front of everybody for heaven’s sake! (Serving them with an outrageously extravagant price tag no doubt.)

As for me, I whipped up a beer float at home, safe and sedate in the knowledge that I alone would enjoy the pleasure, away from the prying eyes of friend and stranger alike. It was nice. I’m going to do it again, too!

Beer Rant’s Beer Float Recipe
One Can Young’s Double Chocolate Stout
Two scoops of vanilla ice cream

Place the ice cream in the glass first – chill the glass ahead of time if you like.
Slowly add the Young’s into the tilted glass.Pay close attention to the way the dark beer behaves as it swirls up and around the ice cream. It’s a feast for the eyes and a treat for the palate, but probably best enjoyed in moderation, as it’s a rich concoction!

5 comments:

Virgil G said...

I used to love Guinness floats, after a while it gets painful for me (lactose intolerance).

There's a brewery/restaurant up in Bloomington Il, that has a Stout Float on their menu.

http://www.destihl.com/DESTIHL_Menu.html

The thicker, richer, more flavorful the stout, the better the float.

Skot has made a Three Floyds Dark Lord Stout Float, but I don't think I could bring myself to do that.

I can see Youngs DCS being good with icecream.

Brenda Elaine said...

I tried a beer float last week with a Samual Adams Black Lager and it was pretty good. However, I definitly will try your recipe with chocolate stout.

Love your reviews.

Michael said...

Hey! Thanks to all of you who've posted comments on the beer float deal. They're fun! You've given me some ideas for future beer floats and yes, Matt, I think you should try them, fat ass or not! They're worth it. I've recently tried a float using 8 Ball Stout which I think might be better than using Young's and here I see that Brenda has suggested Sam Adams' Black Lager...hmmm, that's next on my list. Thank you all again.

Brenda Elaine said...

I went into my local liqour store a couple of months ago to try to find the Youngs DCS but they did not have it. They recomended Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Portor which was quite good in the beer float recipe. However, in the stores email newsletter they just anounced thay they got in the Youngs Double Chocolate Stout. So I will be trying this one next and do some drawings of the beer float.

Brenda Elaine said...

Finally got hold of some Youngs Double Bock Chocolate Stout. This is definitely the best choice so far for a beer float. Although the other options mentioned before do add variety. I am going to do a beer float painting next week.

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts