Tuesday, April 22, 2008

This HoneyMoon Ain't Over....

I'm going to challenge the folks at Coors to add yet another specialty brew to their line of "moon" oriented beers...they'll call it "FullMoon" and it'll have something like a 15% abv kick and pour the color of dark mahogany...but wait, that'll probably deviate from the whole wheat beer motif, huh?

Okay. This is a nifty little beer; not well-received by some others but I like it just fine and will probably buy it again. It's not as good as the tried and true BlueMoon but it's a lot better than one of the other attempts at a seasonal wheat beer...the name of which escapes me (but I remember it had "moon" in it...duh.)

It pours with a moderately thick head - I employed the slick partial pour, bottle swirl, and finish, suggested by the folks who make Hoegaarden, to insure ample floaties in the glass. The taste is mildly of honey and citrus. I spent an afternoon doing yard work in 80 degree heat and then poured this product as a bit of a reward -ahhhhh.

Don't take my word for it.


The masses at Beer Advocate rate HoneyMoon a C+. I'm not familiar enough with the trends there to know if this is a valid rating, though I'll allow as some of the commentary is a bit harsh and sounds as if it comes from folks who've already developed a decided anti BlueMoon prejudice.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/306/36692

For some Blue Moon and HoneyMoon related items visit the Beer Mug outlet.
http://www.beermugoutlet.com/

Yep. Summer isn't even here yet and the Summer brew is already on the shelf. It's just as well since the temperature is already hovering near 90 degrees where I'm at. I'll probably make room in the fridge for more HoneyMoon as the hot season wears on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not to burst your bubble, but they already have a "Full Moon." It's their winter seasonal beer and it's pretty delicious. I like what you have to say about HoneyMoon, though. I've been intrigued since I first saw it, but now, I'm in (hopefully the weather will get warmer to accommodate my test). By the way, if you do get back to Trader Joe's, try the Trader Jose's Dark Lager. It's a great, cheap beer!

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts