Monday, March 17, 2008

The perfect pour? WTF?


A little something in honor of St. Patrick’s Day.

I rarely read the business section of our local rag, but a big photo of a pint of Guinness on the cover of yesterday’s business section of the Arizona Republic caught my eye and there I was, rooting my way through the stock pages and the futures forecasts to find the article.

The article touted “the science of the perfect pour” and revealed that the barkeeps at a local pub have received tutoring from Guinness’ national quality control staff. I’m a bit too old to be allowing myself to be tutored on the “science” of pouring liquid from one container into another, which reminds me of a story:
My grandfather was paying a visit to his doctor and the subject of alcohol consumption came up. The doc wanted to know how much granddad drank every day.
“A pint?” the nosy doctor inquired.
“Spill more than that,” was granddad’s reply.
Pappy’s favored drink was Jim Beam, which reminds me I’ve still got a short snorter hidden in the garage someplace.

Anyhow, it seems a bit too pretentious to be worrying about how a beverage is poured. Chances are, it’ll taste the same no matter what – especially after four our five. The pour is for appearances only and that brings us to the kernel of this nut: if you’re drinking for appearances, you’d better pick up a different hobby.

No comments:

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts