Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Old World Brewery in the News

This picture was taken in the early days...back in June.
I stumbled onto a brief but nice article on Old World Brewery posted on
AzCentral.Com.
Seems they may finally be getting a bit of local recognition. I’ve been in there the past two Friday afternoons, about 4PM and found the front tasting room area nearly packed (granted it’s a small space, but the crowds have been steadily larger each time I visit).

This past Friday, I only stopped in long enough to fill a growler with their Irish Red to take home. It’s nice to have them so close to Beer Rang HQ.

Perhaps of greater use than the text of the article are the comments placed by readers. Most seem to bash the genre of music – hip hop – though the last time I was there when a musician was actually playing it was a single fellow playing classic rock on a guitar. He was stumped when I asked for a Merle Haggard song, but he was still pretty good. There are a couple complaints about the quality of the beer and even a quip about the hygiene of the place. I recall from my first visit – before they’d actually opened - that they purchased their brewing apparatus from a defunct brewpub in Missouri or Mississippi. I don’t recall anything about Katrina-salvaged kettles and I’d suspect if that were the case, their beer wouldn’t have measured up from day one.

Fact is, Old World’s beers evolve. Two weeks ago Matt made a note on the beer menu indicating that the Dark Knight was now rating a higher abv percentage than originally advertised. An early attempt to brew an IPA got out of hand as I recall but it was interesting to stop in from week to week and taste how the beer was developing and changing. To those who still crave consistency, my advice is for you to go down to the corner swill house and order a Coors, Miller or Pabst – just don’t expect the barkeeper to allow you to taste a free sample before you plunk down your bucks. So far the guys at Old World will set you up with a taste of anything you fancy trying before you pay for a full glass.

Heading for the Hills

I’m heading to Colorado next Saturday and I’m feverishly trying to map out a beer strategy in order to maximize my stay while still enjoying family and a cool annual gathering of Civilian Conservation Corps veterans. Don’t know if I’ll post anything before I head out, but I’ll fashion something once I return for sure.

5 comments:

The Beer Babe said...

This is The Beer Babe. I wanted to drop you a quick line to tell you two things. Firstly, I hope you had fun in Colorado, I am extremely jealous that I did not get to go. Next year ;)

Secondly, my site has undergone a migration to wordpress, and I wanted to give you the new address for your blogroll. I am now at http://www.thebeerbabe.com. Thanks for the link love – and cheers!

Good Burp said...

The article written about Old World had some wrong information. Patrick didn't want me to get into it, but it needed to be said.

Beer, just like music is all about taste. Old World is trying to find their place in both worlds.

The beer is constantly evolving. In my opinion, it is getting better. Sure, mistakes happen. However, Matt is getting better.

You should stop in and try their new seasonal red. I think you will enjoy it.

Michael said...

Hi Beer Babe. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a note. I'll update the blog roll to link to the right place. I hope Wordpress is working well for you - were I smarter I might jump over there too, but I'm somewhat sedentary and a bit lazy in my old age! Yes, Colorado was grand. We should have a Beer Blogger's Retreat/Symposium there next summer (never when it's cold though). Best wishes!

Michael said...

Good Burp! Your comment about beer and music is spot on, buddy! Fortunately, I don't go up there for the music so much as the new and evolving beers! I've not sampled any seasonals there yet but will make a stop by there for a check on things...perhaps tomorrow after work! Glad you dropped by. Let me know if you think you'll be at Old World any time soon and I'll spring for a round of beer!

Good Burp said...

Michael, I need to get down to Old World this week. I need to drop something off.

However, life keeps me from stopping by as much as I would like.

But I will take you up on that offer, soon.

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts