Tuesday, June 23, 2009

In Praise of the Gimme' Glass

It seems that Odell Brewing Company has broken into the Arizona marketplace. Color me colossally clueless but I’d been lumbering along on the assumption that they were already here. Geesh. I’d sampled some of their beer while visiting my sister in Denver last year and I suppose I’d just figured I could find them back here in the desert any darned time I wanted.

My son-in-law and I made a quick jaunt to Sunflower Market the Saturday before Father’s day, hoping to score something strange for the weekend. My son-in-law is on a porter kick of late and I can’t say I object in any way. Shucks, when I was that age, living in a barracks on the edge of Texas, I took a shine to Michelob Dark and probably figured I was a real progressive! At least my young marine friend is branching out in ways I’d never dreamed of at that age.

Anyhoo, as we perused the beer cabinet, a couple of lasses beckoned us to their wobbly card table display by asking, “would you like a sample?”

Sample? Beer? Beer sample? Hell yeah said we!

Long story short: Hensley Distributing has evidently taken on Odell Brewing Company as a client. I bought a six-pack of the IPA and a six-pack of the Pale Ale while my son-in-law opted for the tried and true Deschutes Black Butte Porter…I told you he was on a porter kick.


In the end, our new friends from Hensley gave us each an Odell’s pint glass and after quaffing a few beers in mine, I’ll set it proudly on the shelf next to a few others, most of which I’ve paid for. Ah, there’s something special about free beer swag!



Maybe I'll actually get 'round to posting a review of the Odell beers we bought that day.

2 comments:

Good Burp said...

It's a small world, but where is this Sunflower Market?

Michael said...

Yes, it is Good Burp Guy. The Sunflower Market I frequent is located about 3rd Street and Bell Road on the south west corner of the intersection. You'll see a Walgreens on the north side of Bell, directly across from the Market. They have a decent selection of rare and unusual but their prices are not especially competitive - catch their sales to make it really pay. I go their first because it's closer than Total Wine or BevMo. (Try Magnums at 7th St. and Union Hills, too.)

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts