Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Key Indicators

I’ll confess there won’t be anything of value posted here today. Whew. That’s a load off.

What the heck is it with Germans and keys?

I’ve always been aware that the Beck’s logo sports a nice key symbol. I’ve always associated it, rightly or wrongly, with the logo used by the SS Hitler Youth during World War II. (In fact, I seem to recall that the use of the key symbol by the SSHJ was due to a connection between their outfit and Colonel Sepp Dietrich, whose last name I believe means “key” in German. And, of course if you doubt me, check it out here on a page that gives a translation for the word Dietrich. I don’t remember much, but what I do remember, I remember real good.)

So this somewhat useless bit of knowledge has been sludging round in my brainpan for years and I’ve been content to leave it alone until a couple nights ago when I sampled a bottle of Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier. What the heck do you think was on the label but a happy little monk fellow swilling a stein of beer, with a ring of keys tied to his waist!

I did not encourage this fellow to rub his gut; he was doing that when I ran into him over at the Franziskaner website...go find it yourself.

The Franziskaner Hefe-Weissbier, eh, not so great really. Mildly sour smelling in the bottle with a strong wheat smell in the glass. Very frothy head with medium to heavy cloudiness. Just a typical wheat beer in my book and not something I’ll track down again, but I am eager to try their dunkelweizen. Maybe their dunkel is the dietrich!

2 comments:

Captain said...

I know this sounds strange, but you tried the wrong FranzisKaner. You used the small 12oz green bottle. Try the 16oz brown bottle. This one has the sediment in the bottom and requires a proper poor into a weizen glass (Pouring the sediment in last). Believe it or not, the 16oz brown bottle bier tasts quite different from the one you show on your site.

Michael said...

Hi Captain! I appreciate the input and I'm glad you dropped by; I hope you check in frequently! I did sample a brown bottle FranzisKaner later-which I presume is their dunkelwiezen. I'll keep an eye out for any other brown bottle FranzisKaner products, too. Merry Christmas and thank you again for stopping by!

Colorado Beer Facts

Denver Colorado Beer Facts